Sunday 28 August 2011

See No Evil

Over the last twelve months, plans were made which resulted in top graffiti artists around the world making their way to Bristol's Nelson Street where they have created Europe's biggest outdoor street art exhibition.
I only stumbled across this street art event by accident, two weeks ago when I stayed in Bristol overnight for a job. Having to book a hotel last minute the hotel we were hoping to stay at was fully booked so we settled for a different one. Fate is what I usually like to call these things. Not only did we stumble across Wow! Gorillas (Bristol Zoo Gardens celebration of it's 175th anniversary), we stumbled across the See No Evil street art event less than 30 seconds from the hotel we were now staying in. It could not have been a better result.
I have always had an interest in street art but after the initial increase in awareness 10yrs ago have been somewhat put off by how much interest it has been given as it has got to the point where street art is now being protected by perspex within days of it going up. (In the second photo you can see CCTV has been installed.)

Photos courtesy of Street Art London.

Okay, so yes, clearly it is a Banksy, BUT street art is not meant to be about money. Street art is not meant to be encased, hence why they are found on the streets and not in galleries. Although that line has also been crossed. For me, street art is for the people. Not to be owned by individuals.
I could go rambling on about this issue but I will stop, as I was meant to be writing about Bristol's See No Evil project.
More than 70 artists took part in transforming the area which the Bristol City Council, after having invested £80'000, hopes will impact on increasing the tourism numbers therefore boosting the local economy. Artists included El Mac from LA, Tats Cru from New York, Inkie from Bristol itself and other artist from Spain, Brazil, Holland and the rest of Britain.
The project completed on Saturday 20th August 2011 with an event consisting of a showcase of local music and art involving DJ's, bands and street theatre. I wish I could have been there but sadly I was all the way back in London Town. I hope I get to go back and visit soon.
Here are some of my photos when I was in Bristol on my oh so fleeting visit:






No comments:

Post a Comment