Thursday 18 October 2012

Getting back to being me.

Two thousand and twelve has been a tough year for me. 
Luckily it's not over yet and I am determined to change it around. 
Dealing with bullyish behaviour for the past three years, I made the mistake of not talking to anyone who was impartial from the situation. The length of time meant that things started taking their toll, not just mentally but physically too. By not having anyone impartial to talk to I completely isolated myself and lost the chance of having someone who would be able to offer me the support and sanity that I needed.  

"The only thing worse than feeling bullied is to feel bullied and alone." 
Mike Leibling, Career Coach and Author.

As a result I lost me. I lost my confidence, my passion for the things I used to enjoy, and the ability to simply feel happy. I became a shadow of my former self.  On top of that, being so run down, my health started suffering. I was getting ill every month. 
Initially I had put up a front. I pretended everything was okay, avoiding any conversation that could lead to it, but this year I cracked, and had no other option but to start speaking about it to friends. They simply couldn't understand why everytime I saw them I was ill. That's when it all came out. 
The relief of talking to someone was such a weight lifted off my shoulders. I had started thinking that I was going mad, that I was being unreasonable with my thoughts. Turns out a lot of people have had to deal with similar situations and I no longer felt so alone.
The situation now hasn't really changed..in fact the person's behaviour has worsened, mostly because they're not getting the attention they used to get. 
The key difference for me now is that I am gaining the support I had originally been lacking and so it's slowly just becoming amusing rather than upsetting to see what the person comes up with next. You've got to look for every cloud and all that..


You can't choose your family, and you certainly can't choose your in-laws..especially sister in-laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment